I had thought stripping out the usable timber from the pallet had been hard work. Now with my first task the reality dawned that this would be incredibly time and labour intensive. Even with a good Bosch belt sander cleaning up the years of weathering and making good the pockets of rot took considerable time and effort.
The picture below shows the chunky shelf I made from two of the top pallet planks. I thought it frugal to take on a small, easily complete able task to kick things off with. Frugal because at this stage it was still experimental, I still did not know just how affected by the years this pallet wood was.
Unfortunately I could not escape the fact that this pallet had been abandoned to the elements for a considerable period. This is a shame as I have had to use epoxy fibre glass to make good the bolt holes and any rotten crevasses present and normal wood filler to finish (this can be seen as the light areas applied in the picture above).
As I have already started to mention my choice of materials then perhaps I should take a moment to explain in part the design brief that was running through my head. I wanted to build a solid structure that was portable and robust and could quite literally take a person’s weight with ease. Another part to the design principles is for it to be natural and traditional. The key values from which the design draws upon are on the About Us page.
The shelf was then dyed and varnished. I did not take any more pictures of the shelf it’s self but the finished article suspended from the gallows by hessian rope with a hangman’s noose (with 13 turns, the traditional number tied as it is considered unlucky).